>> This is definitely not an improvement and should be reverted. The
>> suid root is also needed to elevate cdrecord's scheduling priority.

> Missed that piece of code and reverted then. Any chance you could be
> more specific?

cdrecord calls mlock(2), setpriority(2), and sched_setscheduler(2) to
lock itself in memory and set realtime scheduling (and after having
done so, it of course resets its uid to non-root).

And yes, it really makes a difference on a moderately loaded machine.
(Having written data from physics experiments to thousands of
CDs/DVDs/Blurays, I think I can claim some experience here.)

With file based capabilities, one could set CAP_IPC_LOCK and
CAP_SYS_NICE instead of the suid root.