On Saturday 28 January 2012 07:26:59 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> I've run nbench on two amd64 systems both running the same kernel
> vanilla-3.2.2.

i don't think nbench is a good benchmark for this as it isn't really testing
what you think it's testing.  it's very good at validating math support in the
ISA/ABI, optimized compiler output, and supplementary math implementations in
libgcc.  PIE vs non-PIE will still be able to multiply/divide in pretty much
the same amount of time.

> So at least on amd64, I don't think that performance is ever an issue.

yes, most likely on systems where the PIC has hardware support in the ISA, the
performance hit on PIE is typically low.

> I have yet to look at x86.

pretty sure this is going to be much more palpable.
-mike