On 03/13/2012 05:14, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> And besides, genkernel and dracut are automatized; they *are* the
> simple (and proper, IMHO) solution.

My contention is that I shouldn't need an initramfs loaded into my kernel to
get my system into a minimally-usable state.  I've been running separate
/usr setups for 10+ years, and only now, such a setup breaks, hence my beef
with Fedora's assertion that such a setup is wrong.  And I'm not even doing
anything fancy!  No encryption, no lvm/evms, no software RAID (on x86/x64 --
MIPS systems run mdadm), plain ext3/ext4 filesystems.  I *shouldn't* need to
start including an initramfs in my kernel to work around this.

make menuconfig, make <bzImage|vmlinux[.32]>[, make modules[_install]], then
update the bootloader, is how I've done kernels for the longest time.  This
new approach makes the above command sequence invalid if under a separate /usr.

From a technical perspective, my argument is a moot point and is easily
remedied.  But I'm making it from a more philosophical standpoint because
what once was a working setup, however uncommon, is not any more, and that
to me is broken.  I've essentially lost some amount of "freedom" in my
choice of running a Linux box.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic