On 03/14/2012 20:45, Zac Medico wrote:

> On 03/14/2012 05:36 PM, David Leverton wrote:
>> On 14 March 2012 23:47, Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> It's more about what we're _not_ doing that what we're doing.
>>
>> Clearly something must have changed in udev 181 to make
>> /usr-without-initramfs not work anymore, and someone must have done
>> something to make that change happen, unless udev has aquired the
>> ability to evolve by itself.
>
> You're pointing your finger at udev, but the udev change is just a
> symptom of a more general shift away from supporting the "/ is a
> self-contained boot disk that is independent of /usr" use case.

I think it's better to say that udev is one of the more important components
of your average Linux system that's decided to support a unified root + /usr
filesystem.  If we were looking at some non-critical, non-boot service that
made this decision, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic