On Sat, 2012-03-17 at 15:33 -0400, Matt Turner wrote:
> So you run set FEATURES=test to run a package's test suite during
> keywording. Later, you emerge -vuNDa ... and portage wants to reemerge
> that package with USE=-test.
>
> Can't we avoid this somehow? I presume in the vast majority of cases
> emerging with FEATURES/USE=test doesn't actually affect what's
> installed.
>
> I'd guess we'd need to be able to remove 'test' from the set of IUSE
> and have a new helper function to check if 'test' is in FEATURES?

Typically "test" is added to IUSE only when building and/or running the
test suite requires specifying additional dependencies. So if we remove
"test" from IUSE, we would need to allow DEPEND to have FEATURES-based
conditionals. Which would probably mean a new EAPI.

I think the easier solution is to modify portage to ignore changes in
the "test" USE flag when doing "emerge --newuse".

-Alexandre.