On 29 March 2012 08:21, Aaron W. Swenson <titanof...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> 'Support' is the keyword here. The repositories are regenerated given
> machinesan 'emerge --sync' and can be considered as temporary as the
> packages themselves are impermanent. Further, the repository isn't
> required to persist. If somebody really wanted to be hard on our
> infrastructure, they could do an 'emerge --sync' at boot to repopulate
> /var/cache/gentoo-repos/.

Though of course, if anybody has custom stuff in say, /usr/portage/local/
which they make by hand, nuking /usr/portage will make you *Very*
unpopular.

As will I be if I have /usr/portage/distfiles under /usr/portage/  and you
nuke /usr/portage including distfiles.

I could download distfiles again, but sorry, bandwidth is not free in every
country, and neither is the time wasted by redownloading it all.

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 )
for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"