On 05/05/2012 12:49 AM, Kacper Kowalik wrote:
> On 04.05.2012 18:30, hasufell wrote:
>> # @ECLASS-VARIABLE: CMAKE_VERBOSE
>> # Set to enable verbose messages during compilation.
>>
>> By default this is deactivated which is inconvenient imo and results in
>> pastes having minimum information.
>> I have to tell users every time to recompile with CMAKE_VERBOSE=1 so
>> that I have proper information on what is going on.
>>
>> Are there any arguments against this being default?
>>
> Hi,
> It's been discussed previously here [1]
> with nack from cmake-utils.eclass maintainers and general conclusion
> that's too "expensive" to write to stdout :/
> If you're gonna make it happen this time, I'll owe you a beer...
> Cheers,
> Kacper
>
> [1]
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_1b58b577fde07f7735ae6b9eb34885be.xml

They should probably be using the emerge --quiet-build option if they're
concerned about the expense of build output going to the console.

Anyway, it seems like verbose would be a good default, with an option to
override it for people who enjoy watching build output scroll by in
their spare time.
--
Thanks,
Zac