On 06/15/2012 03:49 AM, Florian Philipp wrote:
> Am 15.06.2012 09:26, schrieb Michał Górny:
>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:56:04 -0700
>> Greg KH <gre...@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> Distributing a first-stage bootloader blob, that is signed by
>>> Microsoft, or someone, seems to be the only way to easily handle this.
>>
>> Maybe we could get one such a blob for all distros/systems?
>>

> I guess nothing prevents you from re-distributing Fedora's blob.
>
>> Also, does this signature system have any restrictions on what is
>> signed and what is not? In other words, will they actually sign a blob
>> saying 'work-around signatures' on the top?
>>

> They might sign it. I think it is just an automated process verified
> with smartcards. The point is, they will also blacklist it as soon as
> malware starts using it (or as soon as they are aware of the possibility).
>
> It should also be noted that having a bootloader blob is not enough. You
> have to do it like Fedora and sign the kernel and modules as well as
> removing kernel features that could result in security breaches
> (everything outlined in [1]). I don't see any reasonable way to do this
> while allowing users to build their own kernel and third-party modules.
>
> In the end, I think we'll need *-bin packages for everything running in
> kernel-space.

Being all about choice I have to agree that as long as we have both bin
and normal kernels there is nothing wrong with that.  However, dear god,
with how many kernels we have won't this get really expensive really
fast?  Even just signing gentoo-sources and hardened-sources would cost
a fortune considering both change weekly if not daily. So that puts us
to signing just stable releases and damn users who want secure boot and
a recent kernel or need a custom patch?  This all seems like a huge step
in the wrong direction to me, at the very least the amount of effort for
this is near insurmountable in my eyes.

- -Zero