On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I don't really see a way to reliably call grub2-install from the
> ebuild, and I think this would be a bit unfriendly to the user anyway.

Please don't.  We don't auto-install grub during the initial install,
so we have NO idea how users have set up grub1.  I'd rather not try to
automate the grub2 migration.  For all we know they aren't even using
it to boot.

Interesting - it looks like I don't even have grub "installed" - the
hardware on my current box has probably changed twice since I
installed Gentoo on it so an install-once thing like grub that is
safely tucked away in an unmounted /boot probably got out of sync.

I'd think that a typical Gentoo user would want some control over
their grub installation.  A good guide and a news announcement  of the
upcoming change probably would be sufficient.

Rich