On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:15:23 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > 3. grub2-install calls grub2-bios-setup which installs boot.img into
> > the MBR and embeds core.img into the sectors immediately after the
> > MBR.
>
> Ok, that isn't all that unlike grub1 - that is what stage1.5 is.  It
> just sounds like these aren't static files that are copied out of
> /boot/grub, but rather they're built on-demand from other files there.
>  Grub1 figures out which static stage1.5 you need based on where /boot
> is.  They probably went to a more dynamic model so that they can
> support stuff like LVM+MD+LUKS+etc without having every permutation of
> static code.  I'm not sure how smart the bootloader code ends up being
> - it wouldn't surprise me if at time of install the installer does all
> the work and just loads a simple bootloader on the diagnostic cylinder
> with just enough smarts to find /boot if it hasn't changed.

And if in this complex transition something goes wrong, we could opt
for the solution Ubuntu provided years ago, which was to add to the
grub1 boot loader configuration an entry which would call the grub2
boot loader, so that grub2's correct function could be ascertained
before the definitive switch to grub2 and removal of the grub1 code.

     jer