On 07/26/12 14:26, Rich Freeman wrote:
> I've been messing around with namespaces and some of what systemd has
> been doing with them, and I have an idea for a portage feature.
>
> But before doing a brain dump of ideas, how useful would it be to have
> a FEATURE for portage to do a limited-visibility build?  That is, the
> build would be run in an environment where the root filesystem appears
> to contain everything in a DEPEND (including @system currently) and
> nothing else?  It might be useful both in development/testing, and
> also in production use (not sure how performance would work in the
> real world - I was able in a script to get it to build an enviornment
> in a few seconds for a few packages).

The Cabal build system for Haskell packages does this and it's extremely
useful. It prevents me from forgetting dependencies like 'directory',
'time', etc. that I use without thinking.

  runghc Setup.hs build
  Building lwn-epub-0.0...
  Preprocessing executable 'lwn-epub' for lwn-epub-0.0...

  src/LWN/Article.hs:12:8:
      Could not find module `System.Directory'
      It is a member of the hidden package `directory-1.1.0.2'.
      Perhaps you need to add `directory' to the build-depends in your
      .cabal file.
      Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.