On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> So, I ask again. You keep complaining about "insanity". What's the
> insanity and why should we go to all of the extra effort you want us to
> go to to avoid it?

I think it's more of a knee-jerk reaction to this: Redhat is pushing
systemd very hard, and its technical merits have gained a lot of sway
in many places. As such, it seems like lots of everything are joining
a fast-paced systemd stampede. Seeing that udevd has been renamed to
something with "systemd" in the name raises a gut fear "oh no, now
something as fundamental as udev is becoming systemdified. It's just a
matter of time before init.d disappears forever." To the
non-systemd'ers, I think the general perception is that without any
set of policies to manage the stampede, systemd will eventually take
over.

Maybe this fear is warranted. Maybe it's silly. I don't know. I am
glad, though, that Gentoo is sticking with OpenRC, and I hope that the
consequences of that decision are respected by ebuild maintainers.