On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 10:42 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 08/07/2012 09:00 PM, Olivier Crête wrote:
> > I expect that in the not so long term, systemd will become an essential
> > user-space component of desktop Linux, just like crond, syslog, dbus,
> > udev or glibc. Sharing that code just makes sense, that allows
>
> As in completely optional and easily replaceable? That would be a nice
> improvement over the current "use it or die" attitude.

Sure, you can use bionic and use a shell script as your PID 1. But no
one would do that as part of a desktop/server computer.

> Repeat after me: having your first process require anything more than
> libc is stupid and dangerous.

It's lucky that systemd only requires libc, libc-like libraries
(libselinux, libcap, libaudit, librt, etc) and it's own libraries (ie,
maintained by the systemd team) then?

> Most ideas behind systemd are interesting, their current implementation
> is sometimes completely wrong and given the experience with pulseaudio
> we all know that they won't change even if you provide code for it.

This is bullshit, if you have good reasoned arguments, Lennart is a very
reasonable guy, but if you just say "your ideas are shit, you code is
terrible", then yes, he'll just ignore you.

--
Olivier Crête
tes...@gentoo.org