On 27/08/2012 17:15, hasufell wrote:
> Is there a reason not to support static-libs in an ebuild if the package
> supports it?

Most libtool software "supports" static-libs, because libtool let you
build them, _but_ it might not be test or might not even work.

One example is software that relies on plug-ins, such as xine-lib. or
stuff that links to gmodule. Having static libraries there is
technically possible, but if you do you have a bag full of problems and
nothing else.

> It seems some developers don't care about this option. What's the gentoo
> policy on this? Isn't this actually a bug?

I honestly don't usually put static-libs "just because" — if a case can
be made about static libs to be useful, I'm always open to add an USE
flag, but "because I can" is not an option for me.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flamee...@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/