On 29 August 2012 01:36, Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 05:35 PM, Sylvain Alain wrote:
>> Hi everyone, I don't want to start a flamewar on that subject, but I would
>> like to know if there's any official position about the current situation.
>
> udev might or might not eventually get forked to avoid systemd
> borg-approach.
>
> mdev works fine for a number of people and they are working on getting
> better support for it even if some guys sometimes try to stomp over them
> for silly reasons.
>
> openrc during the summer got new features developed both for prefix
> users and for general public hopefully will get merged soon.
>
> The consensus is trying to support what makes sense of systemd and let
> people use it if they really want but not force it upon people happy or
> needing openrc.
>
> Beside that you have drama since there are strong opinions on how broken
> systemd is or how cool it is.
>
>> I saw on the forum this thread :
>> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934678-highlight-.html and maybe it
>> could be part of a solution to have OpenRC and udev together.
>>
>> So, is there any developments lately ?
>
> Lots =)
>
> lu

I think this is a fairly good overview of the current situation.

The way I see it:

Gentoo defaults to OpenRC and stand-alone udev. This is not going to
change any time soon.

Because some developers think systemd is a worthwhile alternative,
they are making it possible for Gentoo users to switch to using this
if they want to. Gentoo is about choice, after all.

But there is also strong opposition towards systemd and the "our way
or no way" attitude of its core developers, so it is unlikely Gentoo
will adopt systemd. It would be too controversial and lead to a rift
in the developer community.

For now udev is still usable without systemd, even tho upstream is
making it difficult to build udev separately (and avoid unnecessary
build-time dependencies). Upstream is also unwilling to work with us
to make this easier.

Despite upstream promises that udev will remain usable stand-alone,
there is a lot of skepticism towards that. So we may find ourselves
faced with the need to use a fork or a replacement for udev.

Right now the situation is in flux, so we are basically waiting to see
how things will develop.
--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin