On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 8:03 AM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> PMS is a fraction of what is to consider when writing an ebuild. It does
> not include QA policies, gentoo policies and whatnot.

True, although at least somebody bothers to write PMS down...

Much of the rest is word of mouth, posts on mailing lists, maybe
council meeting minutes, and whatever somebody decides to put in a bug
report or ping you with on IRC.  There are the GLSAs, and then stuff
like guides and the devmanual, which are a blend of must-do, best
practices (which presumably are discretionary), and just illustrative
examples.

Bottom line is that what a developer MUST do is a matter of what
people will bother to complain to Devrel about, and what Devrel will
bother to enforce.  For the most part this boils down to common sense.
 That's why most "developers must do foo" proposals don't end up going
anywhere.  In six months somebody new will join the project and not
even know what they "must" do simply by virtue of the fact that we
won't bother to write it down anyway.

Rich