> Note there is a few vars we need to exempt; that list is currently
> SANDBOX_* and FEATURES.  FEATURES is fine to exempt from this rule.
>
> For SANDBOX_*, while that's a PM internal, that's a bit of a grey
> zone; regardless, we can actually address that via extending the
> sandbox functions a bit:
>
> addwrite [-r|--remove] pathway # for example, to do a removal.

As already discussed on IRC, a -r option may have undesired effects.
For example:

   addwrite /foo/bar
   # some commands writing to /foo/bar here
   addwrite -r /foo/bar  # try to restore previous state

Now if /foo/bar was in SANDBOX_WRITE before, it's now removed from it.

Maybe it's better to add a --{save,restore} option pair:

   addwrite --save /foo/bar
   # some commands writing to /foo/bar here
   addwrite --restore   # restore last saved state

or --{push,pop} to allow for nested calls, but maybe that would be
overkill.

> For instances where the sandbox needs to be turned off for a command-
> we do the same thing we did w/ nonfatal;
>
> sandboxless <the command and args>

To start the bikeshedding: For some reason I associate "less (the
pager) in a sandbox" with this. ;-) Maybe "nosandbox" or "sandboxoff"?

Ulrich