On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Thomas Sachau <to...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Matt Turner schrieb:
>> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> It is a simple eclass using autotools out-of-source builds to build
>>> packages for multiple ABIs when multilib is supported.
>>
>> Thanks a lot, Michał! This looks good to me.
>>
>>> Use case: xorg packages, ask Matt.
>>
>> So the idea is that users want up-to-date 32-bit drivers for games and
>> WINE. The emul- packages aren't a very good solution for a number of
>> reasons.
>>
>> I'd like to add multilib USE flags to Mesa and thus its dependencies.
>> I realized that almost everything in x11-libs/ could be converted very
>> easily, which would allow us to get rid of emul-linux-x86-xlibs in
>> addition to emul-linux-x86-opengl.
>>

> This looks like a shortened duplication of a subset of multilib-portage
> features. While this wont hurt multilib-portage (since it does exclude
> most actions on ebuilds with USE=multilib), it will mean a rewrite for
> many ebuilds, which then again need another rewrite (or more likely
> revert), when multilib-portage is accepted in a future EAPI.

I'd much rather have portage handle this for me as well.
Unfortunately, the last mail I see about multilib-portage is from two
months ago. If it were in EAPI 5, I'd be happy to wait for it. If it
even looked like it were progressing, I might wait. But, as you know,
gentoo-dev is where ideas go to die.

As far as ebuild conversions go, this is really simple.

> So i would prefer some help/support with multilib-portage to get it
> accepted sooner, instead of this additional workaround for a subset of
> packages.

That seems like a reasonable request. Let me re-read the previously
mentioned thread and get back to you.