Pacho Ramos schrieb:
> El vie, 19-10-2012 a las 22:39 +0200, Thomas Sachau escribió:
>> Pacho Ramos schrieb:

>>> Seriously, what people is still having problems with handling eapi4? If
>>> there are doubts about its usage, they should be asked and resolved
>>> instead of ignored keeping ebuilds with older eapis. The only eapi that
>>> probably adds no advantage for a lot of ebuilds is eapi3, but that is
>>> not the case for eapi4 for example, that includes changes that should be
>>> incorporated by most packages in the tree, some of them introduced by it
>>> and others inherited from older eapis.
>>>
>>> What is the advantage of using eapi2 over eapi4 for example? What "hard
>>> to learn" change was included in eapi4 over eapi2?
>>>

>> This is not about "having problems with handling eapi-X", this is just
>> about limited time and the choice where to spend that time. If you do
>> just a version bump, you often dont have to touch the ebuild at all,
>> just copy, test, commit and be happy. If you additionally require an
>> EAPI bump, this means to carefully check the ebuild, adjust it to the
>> new EAPI and additionally check, that the expected haviour is also the
>> one that happens. While doing this, i could also have fixed another bug
>> or have done another version bump. And that was already expressed in my
>> first response. I nowhere claimed to have problems with EAPI bumps, just
>> that they require additional time, so reducing the amount of time left
>> to create new ebuilds/fix bugs/do version bumps. And with the choice, i
>> prefer the new ebuilds/fixed bugs/version bumps over an ebuild switched
>> to a new EAPI.
>>
>> So my question to you: What is the advantage of using ${NEW_EAPI} over
>> using ${OLDER_EAPI}, when the ebuild does the same and the result is the
>> same?
>>

> I already explained the advantages, simply take a look to:
> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/eapi/index.html
>
> to see that, for example, --disable-dependency-tracking won't be used by
> default for older eapis. The same will occur with eapi5 and
> --disable-silent-rules or running tests in parallel.
>
> That time you think you are saving, will be need to be lost if, for
> example, some QA policy appears in the future to move to try to run
> tests in parallel when possible, or force verbose output.

Please remember, that not every package out there does use an autotools
based build system, we also have custom configure scripts, custom
makefiles, things like cmake, qmake or even completly different things
like ant based build systems for java. All those build systems wont
benefit neither from --disable-dependency-tracking nor from
--disable-silent-rules.

Also, as already pointed out, a package, which currently exists may be
unmaintained and useless in the future, so if i dont do the work now and
remove the then unneeded package later, i did not spend any additional
time for this change. Your requirement would either mean wasted time or
another open bug until the package gets removed.

Beside that, i did ask you about the case, where "the ebuild does the
same and the result is the same". And you did not answer my question,
why an EAPI-bump in such cases should be done.

And finally, as already pointed out by Rich, you should not talk about
any specific EAPI you like/prefer/want to be used everyhwere, but
instead about the issue you want to solve. So just point out the issue
and ask the maintainer to fix it. If he uses a newer EAPI, good. If he
uses another solution, which also fixes the issue, also good. We should
not discuss about a specific way to solve some issues, since this is the
maintainers choice. Our goal should instead be to fix as many issues as
possible with our limited amount of time we have for Gentoo.

--

Thomas Sachau
Gentoo Linux Developer