Title: PYTHON_TARGETS deployment
Author: Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0

Lately, a new Python eclasses were deployed and the way of supporting
multiple Python implementations changes with ebuilds being migrated
to them. While before the implementations being installed were used
by default, the migrated packages will instead use explicit choice based
on PYTHON_TARGETS USE flags. This may require action from some of our
users.

If you are running a modern system with Python 2.7 & 3.2, and you didn't
set USE_PYTHON, then you don't have to do anything. The defaults
will fit you.

Otherwise, you will want to set PYTHON_TARGETS in your make.conf file.
This is a regular USE_EXPAND variable listing requested Python
implementations like:

        PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 pypy1_9 jython2_5"

The variable should list all requested Python implementations.
A complete list of possible values can be obtained using a command like:

        emerge -1pv dev-python/python-exec

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny