On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 06:54:45PM -0500, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Brian Harring <ferri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This isn't quite what I'm asking for.  I want y'all to literally
> > document thus:
> >
> > 1) What your finished solution is going to look like.  Users control
> > which implementations are enabled via PYTHON_TARGETS, how y'all will
> > handle if no targets are currently specified (user hasn't made a
> > choice), etc.
> >
> > 2) How you're planning on getting there- literally, how things are
> > going to transition to your proposed replacement for python.eclass,
> > how the use deps will be structured, the potential gaps dependencye
> > wise as you go forward, etc.
> >
> > As I indicated in my email, all folks see are changes coming in, no
> > sign of the actual end form you're intending, nor how you plan on
> > getting there.
> >
> > I realize y'all may get pissed at being asked to layout your actual
> > plans... fact is, python.eclass got into this mess since people
> > couldn't track where it was going ultimately leading to the source
> > being spaghetti.
> >
> > Lay out where y'all are going w/ this, and *how*, so people can
> > actually comment/contribute/avoid recreating another python.eclass
> > where no one understands it.  :)
> >

> I will admit right now that I don't have a "master plan" in mind, and
> we are sort of making it up as we go along. I am not a software
> engineer; I just like to read/hack on code. I would love for some
> master architect to come along and document where we are headed, but
> that hasn't happened. And I'm not the person to do it -- it just
> doesn't interest me.
>
> mgorny has been writing lots of code and is looking for someone to
> review it. I'm very good at answering specific questions and offering
> an informed opinion, so I'm attempting to do so.

Just zeroing in on this since my other questions aren't really getting
addressed in the fashion I want- this however is the core point.

Bluntly, there needs to be a plan- and it needs to be shared w/ folk.

I wasn't kidding when I stated "review requires making sure your
reviewer understands your change and the intent"; as is, all that's
realistically occurring here is mgorny gets at best a comment or two
bash wise, and that's it- nothing more since no one particularly knows
where this is going and we just see random patchsets w/out much
explanation as to how this all plugs together.

I'm not demanding a point by point plan here; I'm frankly asking that
the steps/end results be shared so that we don't wind up with another
python.eclass, just this time w/ mgorny being the one who's got it all
in his head.

It's easy enough to write up a doc (glep if you want) laying out the
intent and the roadmap.  This should be done- if it has been already,
link it in somewhere or start referencing it so the rest of us know
wtf the plan is.

Simple example, I'd ask "why was PYTHON_TARGETS added when USE_PYTHON
could've been fixed/coopted into the same thing?".  I ask that now,
I'll get flak/bitchyness frankly since it's already deployed/in use.

Either way, I'm honestly not trying to piss folks off here nor stop
the efforts to dig us out of the python.eclass mess.  That said, *this
time around* that eclass should actually have a plan so that we don't
wind up in the same cluster fuck scenario as prior.

It's a simple enough request; document your roadmap.  Asking for
reviews w/out that, frankly, is pointless (and sooner or later some
asswipe like me is going to start -1'ing things till that's
addressed).

~harring