On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 10:43 AM, justin <j...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 16/11/12 09:48, Samuli Suominen wrote:

>> does this mean it puts the binary-only package, nvidia-cg-toolkit, to
>> the default search path when you call the linker (compiler)?
>>
>> please don't do that, it is counterproductive with the purpose of
>> putting libraries to /opt. binary only packages should be isolated.
>>
>> it was already once reverted for the package...
>>
>> it is up the the ebuilds using nvidia-cg-toolkit to append-ldflags
>> -L/opt/... or similar.
>>
>> thanks
>>

> +*nvidia-cg-toolkit-3.1.0013-r1 (16 Nov 2012)
> +
> +  16 Nov 2012; Justin Lecher <j...@gentoo.org> +files/80cgc-opt-3,
> +  +nvidia-cg-toolkit-3.1.0013-r1.ebuild, +files/nvidia-cg-toolkit.pc.in,
> +  +files/nvidia-cg-toolkit-gl.pc.in:
> +  Don't add binary packages to global linker search path; instead using
> +  pkg-config. Thanks ssuominen pointing this out
> +

This is a shared library, used by the plugin google-talkplugin. If there is no
LDPATH set, browsers using that plugin will crash mysteriously and
unpredictably. You can't use chrpath to change the rpath because
lengthof(/opt/nvidia-cg-toolkit/lib64)>lengthof(/opt/google/talkplugin/lib)
and we don't have the sources, so we can't really recompile. And it's
being dl-opened so LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a no-go, unless we want to add
magic to all browser that sets it to the correct path before starting them.

So please re-add the LDPATH to the env.d file. Pretty please.
Just cause it's binary doesn't mean it has to be cordoned off
and isolated like it's got the spanish flu.

/Peter

PS
pkgconfig is irrelevant if it's only gentoo that's shipping them.
HTH. HAND.