On 11/18/2012 2:39 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Peter Stuge posted on Sun, 18 Nov 2012 19:00:59 +0100 as excerpted:
>
>> Forget about the loader. Your knob is in a different configuration,
>> specifically CONFIG_MODULES=n in the kernel.
>
> Just to note now that the specific topic has come up, yes, I am aware of
> and have that kernel option set to disable module loading.  I was simply
> focusing on userland side, and thus didn't believe the kernel option
> apropos to that specific discussion.  Still, just having a module loading
> userland on the system doesn't /increase/ security, and in fact, it
> slightly decreases it, on a system where a deliberate choice has been
> made to turn kernel module loading functionality off.

Pointing out as a general statement, and not in response to anyone in
particular, while I, too, am in the camp of minimalistic userlands, there is
a kind of threshold one hits in this regard where keeping or removing
something like a couple of module-loading utilities or systemd text files
around really isn't going to increase or decrease your security /by that
much/. </run-on-sentence>

I mean, if someone gains unauthorized access to the userland and somehow
uses these unused components to launch an attack, successful or not, well,
then there's a LOT of bigger problems to worry about.  The goal of security
isn't to prevent someone from gaining unauthorized access to a system, it's
to deter them or otherwise make the effort required more than the potential
gain.

Design network firewalls well, audit the user accounts and review logs
periodically, enabled hardened options, use PaX/grsec/selinux, deploy an
IDS/IPS and a SEIM, etc...there's a lot of other things one can do that will
have a bigger ROI on security than gutting module-loading tools or systemd
scripts off of a system.  Do I like them there?  Not really (unless I'm
developing a kernel driver, then modules come in handy).  But it is what it is.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic