On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 15:30 +0100, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We currently have values like the following:
> RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19"
> PHP_TARGETS="php5-3"
> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
>
> I find it confusing, and I would like to propose to keep the same style for
> all
> the above values. I personally prefer the ruby one.
> Keep in mind that if the relevant teams decide to migrate to some other
> style,
> it needs an announcement and migration plan.
>
> Theo

+1 for the idea,

 but:

 I think format should be python2_7, a simple replace('_', '.') produces
the correct version string. If need be it can be extended to minor
versions
2_7_3 to get 2.7.3

For  ruby19,  split in the middle to get 1.9, but what about 110, is it
11.0 or 1.10.

For php5-3, what happens if a future package has a digit as part of it's
name which is allowed and are in the tree.  It looks too much like php5
dash version 3
--
Brian Dolbec <dol...@gentoo.org>