On Sat, 2012-11-24 at 08:07 -0800, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> On 24/11/2012 07:46, Brian Dolbec wrote:
> > For  ruby19,  split in the middle to get 1.9, but what about 110, is it
> > 11.0 or 1.10.
>
> Okay stop.
>
> There's no 1.10.
>
> There's 2.0 that's being developed for a long time.
>
> And we're not going to change our scheme just because of some
> theoretical corner case that has been proven not happening in our world.
>
> Especially since we were the first (and not even with ruby-ng, the
> syntax has been the same for years, starting with ruby16).

Sorry, I didn't mean/intend to pick on ruby.  I personally don't use it,
nor do I have RUBY_TARGETS, or PHP_TARGETS set.  I was just trying to
point out a possible flaw in using that scheme as a common method of
specifying versions in all those variables, or any future *_TARGETS type
variable.

ok, then please substitute "foo" for any ruby, python, php references in
my previuos post...

If we are going to come up with a common way of doing it, we will need
to consider such a "corner case" so that we have as few exceptions to
the rule as possible.  Unlike the English language that I think too
often has more exceptions to the rule than ones that actually follow the
rule :/

It was not my intention to start yet ANOTHER -dev mail list flame war!
My apologies to the list.
--
Brian Dolbec <dol...@gentoo.org>