On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 01:24:53AM +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> On 09/12/2012 19:59, Greg KH wrote:
> > The UEFI spec does not allow that mode of operation in secure boot mode,
> > sorry. You will have to disable it in order to boot a Gentoo image,
> > which is fine, but there's no reason why Gentoo can't use the MS-signed
> > shim bootloader like all other distros are using, right?
>
> I wouldn't say we have any problem with that. Fabio already got Sabayon
> to support the shim. The only problem is that we'd have to provide a
> shim binary that _is_ signed, rather than building it from source, but I
> don't see it as a mayor problem myself.

I see the shim is checked into Sabayon, with my recent testing on real
hardware, I think there's a bug in the existing shim binary that will
keep it from working on most hardware, so it will need to be updated.

Some of us are currently working with Microsoft to do that right now...

But, if you have access to UEFI secure boot hardware, please test, it
might work for you and if so, please let us know.

thanks,

greg k-h