On 12/16/2012 12:20 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> On 12/16/2012 12:02 PM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
>> On 16-12-2012 11:57:35 -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>>> 3. Get off CVS for Christ's sake. Nobody wants to work with that.
>>> I don't know how this fits into my bullet list, but it's
>>> important.
>
>> It doesn't, and it's not.
>

> I'm not going to put together a powerpoint presentation for you, but
> think about it this way.
>
> Many new developers who want to contribute to to some project will
> learn git, because a large number of important projects use git. No
> (new) developers are going to learn CVS. Ever.
>
> Therefore, we can rule out "using CVS is helping us attract new
> developers."

I have to agree with grobian. Gentoo development involves minimal CVS
knowledge. People pull from CVS and use repoman to commit. Repoman is
necessary for committing changes to CVS in a way that guarentees that
the tree is consistent and does quite a few QA checks to ensure that
mistakes are not made. In my experience it works equally well with both
CVS and GIT.

With that said, we have a GIT migration planned, but it has taken years
because people want to preserve the CVS history.