On 12/17/2012 10:32 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Give the talk on the list about attracting devs, I've should probably
> mention that I'm teaching a College Course on Gentoo Development next
> semester.  I know two students will most likely go through the
> recruitment process, others may at least contribute.  So its like GSoC
> but the focus is not one project but an overview of general gentoo
> development, and I will have to touch on lots of stuff outside of gentoo
> per se, like how autotools and other build systems work.

This is a great idea, and is essentially the "pay someone to recruit"
approach taken to an extreme. I would be willing to pay for a class like
this (online or otherwise) if it meant that there were a clear set of
goals, which if met, meant that I'd become a developer.

Why can't something like this *be* the recruiting process? Put up a
syllabus. The "wait to be noticed" process is so vague as to be useless.