On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Torsten Veller <t...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Let's discuss the "specific guideline" for Perl modules. It's as follows:
>
> ,-
> http://devrel.gentoo.org/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap2_sect2
> | Perl
> |
> | New Perl modules are to be added to portage only when one of the following
> | conditions is met:
> |
> | a) The module(s) fulfill a dependency
> | b) The module(s) cannot be handled by g-cpan
> | c) The module(s) add functionality to existing ebuilds
> | d) The module(s) provide tools, applications or other features (i.e. more
> |    than what their .PM offers)
> |
> | Please make sure that at least one member of the perl herders approves
> | your addition.
> `-
>
> Recently the proxy-maintainer project is repeatedly adding packages
> which aren't following these guideline AFAIK. So maybe we should change
> it.
>
> 444974 a) dev-perl/Text-Format - Various subroutines to format text
> 2012-12-07
> 444976 a) dev-perl/Roman - Perl module for conversion between Roman and
> Arabic numerals.        2012-12-03
> 446710 ?) dev-perl/FLV-AudioExtractor - Extract audio from Flash Videos
> 2012-12-12
> 447724 ?) dev-perl/Email-Send-Gmail - Send Messages using Gmail Mon 10:12
>
> Ad a): This requirement is a little problematic:
> Sometimes perl modules are needed for maintainer-wanted packages.
> Sometimes the perl modules are added to the tree while the
> maintainer-wanted package never are or will be. Sometimes the maintainer
> are waiting for the perl team to do their work.
>
> Ad b): (Judging from bugreports) g-cpan doesn't seem to be really
> reliable these days. I always wanted to test/verify it. But ... (random
> excuse: time, motivation,...)
>
> I guess I don't have no problem with modifying or dropping the
> requirements. The perl overlay contains hundreds of packages which
> should be added to the main tree.
>
> The dev-perl category currently already contains the most packages
> (1140 per packages.g.o).
>
> --
> Best regards
> Torsten

I'm sure I skimmed that section of the handbook at some point for the
quizzes, but I don't remember it. I think it is possible that the
proxy commiter (pinkbyte) forgot about it too.

I think that all of those requirements make sense. We might want to
formalize a similar guideline for the python herd.

Perhaps the requirements list could be copied somewhere more visible?
The perl project page might get more traffic for people looking to
write perl ebuilds.