Samuli Suominen wrote:
> i'd say never. there is no benefit in switching. pkg-config is the
> default implementation from freedesktop.org.

That's one awful double standard. :\

dev-libs/libusb is the default implementation from libusb.org, yet
you are astonishingly eager to *avoid* that it is the default in
virtual/libusb-1, even if ~keywords make it apply "only" to ~ systems.

> and since pkgconf upstream doesn't properly follow pkg-config upstream
> git and do necessary changes, like for bug 445796 it would mean
> pkg-config related bugs would have to be reported to double upstream
> and thus, not be maintainable

In the case of libusb and libusbx, libusbx have consistently
communicated that they are eager to *break* the API, and they have
indeed made at least one release with an outright change of existing
API, which broke things for library users. They released another
version with that change reverted a day or so later, but still.

I even asked you if you would consider swapping the default, but no.

> lose-lose situation for the switch

Funny that you should write that. I think it applies also when you
prefer libusbx over the default implementation from libusb.org.

Kind regards

//Peter