On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Panagiotis Christopoulos
<pchr...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 00:36 Wed 16 Jan     , Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
>> several people have pointed out to me that the 10.0 -> 13.0 transition would
>> be a good moment to finally remove the (also in my opinion rather useless)
>> server profiles.
>>

> The server profiles are not useless, if we can maintain them, and if
> they actually are, nowadays, they shouldn't be.
>
> -1, unless other profile options being offered are "minimal" enough for the
> job
> and enabling certain things that someone may need in a server.

The problem, I think, is that 'server' is a very generic thing. Am I
looking for a NAS? A SAN? A web server? A proxy server? An X11
application server? A font server? VOIP?

If people who use the server profile are looking for a minimalist
profile, I think they'd probably be best served with a profile that's
specifically designed for "we disable everything we can to still wind
up with a working stage 3. Enable what you need from there."

That also suggests a way to help automate maintenance; if building a
stage 3 with the minimal profile fails, then either the package has a
bug or the profile needs an update...with a strong bias toward the
former.

--
:wq