On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM, Greg KH <gre...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 06:36:59AM -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> >
>> > Does /dev/serial/* solve the problem?
>>
>> I don't see this directory at all on my system.
>
> Do you have a usb-serial device plugged in?  You need a serial device
> for it to show up, and you need to be using udev.

Yes, I have two plugged in and they're working fine.  However, perhaps
my custom rules are preventing them from showing up:
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", DRIVERS=="pl2303", KERNELS=="4-1:1.0",
KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SYMLINK="mythser/rca1"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", DRIVERS=="pl2303", KERNELS=="3-3:1.0",
KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SYMLINK="mythser/rca2"

I'm not sure if rules are additive - if these symlinks would show up
in addition to whatever other ones are created by other rules, or if
these would be exclusive.  I hard-coded them to specific physical USB
ports so that they would be persistent.  If I plug them in elsewhere
they still get ttyUSBn devices, but no symlinks.

Rich