Diego Elio Pettenò posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 15:10:18 +0100 as excerpted:

> And all of them are invited to either decide to let me decide how to
> spend my time and dime, or actually pay me for said time.

To be clear I'm not in a position to offer, and I definitely respect and
value your volunteer work, but suppose someone /was/ sufficiently
interested in something like ffmpeg to be willing to pay for a tinderbox
run on it.  What sort of "pay for" are we talking?  Just ballpark.
"Beverage/dinner on me at the next conference we both attend" (or Amazon
wish-list book) level, "week's consultancy fee" level, "month's
consultancy-fee" level, "hire me for a year and we'll talk", or...??

Of course given the history here, I'd not blame you for placing a higher
price on this particular package, but in general...

It occurs to me that this might be more appropriately answered on your
blog (I get the feed), but since it came up here, I might as well ask
here.  Answer here or there or not at all, your call, but it's something
I've wondered occasionally when I've seen "pay me and it'd be different"
comments, both yours and others.