On 19 January 2013 04:49, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> During the server profile discussion, it became clear that we could clean up
> the base profiles a bit. This is unrelated to the profile versions, as the
> change would affect all versions (well, at least without bigger changes).
>
> What I suggested and what djc and kensington supported was:
>
> * move setting USE=dri and USE=cups from default/linux/make.defaults to
> targets/desktop/make.defaults

As said by others, dri can stay in the default base profile, as it
only affects things when X is specifically installed, in which case
dri would be a good default to have.

I'm not sure whether we need to keep cups at all. I haven't printed
anything from my personal PC or laptop in years. And I'm sure I'm not
the only one. So I'm voting for dropping cups useflag from all
profiles. If some people think it is necessary, maybe it can be moved
up to the more complete desktop profiles for gnome and kde. For a
simple non-gnome/kde desktop, I see no need for cups to be enabled by
default at all. Since this may be an unexpected change for some, let's
only drop it from the new 13.0 profiles.

> * remove setting USE=pppd in default/linux/make.defaults, instead have it
> default to on in net-dialup/capi4k-utils (the only place where it is used)

+1

--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin