On 20 January 2013 05:03, Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 130119 Ben de Groot wrote:
>> On 19 January 2013 21:46, Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> Maybe lib-qt ? dev-qt sounds confusing to me too, what's "dev" about it?
>> These are libraries and applications
>> that are used by developers of end-user applications.
>
> They are also encountered by users when updating KDE etc.

Not directly, only as dependencies. A simple world update will do what
is needed.

And otherwise this is more precise and concise:
    emerge -au1 `eix --only-names -IC qt`

>> If there is too much opposition to a simple "qt" category
>> -- at least there seems to be some quite vocal opposition -- ,
>> then dev-qt is in my eyes the next best alternative.
>
> 'qt' alone is inconsistent with the rest of the tree.

Not really. We already have virtual/.

>> A third option we came up with is qt-framework.
>
> Too long to type & again no parallel in the existing tree.

But closer to upstream naming.

>> Somewhat comparable categories in the current tree
>> are dev-dotnet and gnustep-{base,libs}.
>
> Flame-eyes' suggestion is simple, consistent & involves least change :
> 'x11-qt/qt-core' 'x11-qt/qt-gui' etc.  Please do it like that.

Most of Qt has nothing whatsoever to do with X11 directly, and that
will increasingly be true for Qt5 with its Wayland support.

--
Cheers,

Ben | yngwin
Gentoo developer
Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin