On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
> <dilfri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> So, a thread like "Should we enable useflag Z by default" would then include
>> "Please discuss here, vote on ..." with a link to the count page (updated via
>> cron every 1h). On login to ..., a message similar to the "open elections
>> message" could be displayed.
>>
>> Obviously the implementation does not exist, but this is conceptually simple
>> enough so it could be implemented within reasonable time.
>>
>> Opinions?
>> (Yes / No / More discussion needed :D )
>
> What's the point?  I don't think democracy is the best way to handle
> these sorts of things.
>
> Plus, it leaves out users.  Why does that matter?  Think about it:
>
> If what you want is expert opinion then the last thing you want is any
> kind of poll of anybody.  Put it on the lists, follow the discussion,
> chat with experts that emerge on irc/email/etc, and make the best
> decision.  Is that hard?  Sure.  But, if your goal is to discover
> issues and learn then you won't get that in an easier way.  .

The primary complaint was the fact that there is too much email. While
I don't disagree with your idea overall; it doesn't solve the problem
of essentially too many messages to read, which is a disincentive to
even try. This ends up where developers don't read -dev (or skim -dev,
or are not even subscribed to -dev.)