Dne Pá 1. února 2013 18:40:32, Vaeth napsal(a):
> > [...] and if anyone wants to start where we left he
> > can pick out the ebuild from attic and put into his own overlay where
> > it might work for him or even put it back to tree fixed.
>
> And this is exactly what *cannot* be done after a while:
>
> The ebuild is still available by CVS (or maybe git in future),
> but if there were already a lot of gentoo patches, the tarball with these
> patches is lost forever.  If even upstream is dead, not even the main
> tarball will be available anymore.
Oh but it can mostly these archaic packages do not have patchsets. You still
can count the packages using huge patchsets using just your hands.

Also there is proposal to create git repository with patches exactly for this
purposes. So bribe infra people with cookies to focus on it and you will get
your stuff done :-)

> > Go for it, i wrote exactly what to do, create vcs/tracker/homepage and
> > it can stay.
>
> And what if somebody decides to do so in a year?

If you are person who didn't touch his Gentoo box within a year hire some guy
to maintain it. Seriously after a year without syncing and checkign the masks
it is just walking security hole.

> E.g. if somebody gets some hardware in a year and needs support of
> a package which was removed?

Well we never remove stuff right away, so we can say someone get hardware that
is at least decade old, honestly just obtain distros build around such HW
(like debian stable).

> Or if he was not yet a gentoo user at the time when the package was
> removed (or absent/busy for a long period)?

Well he would found out after sync that it is removed, but he still can have
it on his system, not available package does not mean that you have to
uninstall it from that box.

> Then he is lost unless a distribution with bigger resources as gentoo
> has decided to keep the package. Not really a selling point for gentoo.

Gentoo is not a distro with bigger resources, there is only few developers
working on everything (yeah we show that 250 devs are still around, but
question is how much of those are active). If you want real support you can
always go for paid distros (thats their purpose, to support stuff where OSS is
out of loop).

PS: threading is broken in your mail client. or I dunno why this reply
appeared out of thread.