Hi everyone,

This issue has come up in a few bugs so I want to bounce it off the community. When building packages that need a configured kernel source tree, many ebuilds inherit linux-info to find configuration info about the kernel. However, there is the running kernel with its configuration (/proc/config.gz if it exists), there is the kernel source tree (/usr/src/linux if it exists and is configured) and both of these can be of a different version than linux-headers. Since building modules consumes headers from /usr/include/linux, but uses code from /usr/src/linux and then these modules are expected to insmod against the running kernel, all of which can be mismatched, we have a lot of room for breakage. Eg. bug #458014.

Any ideas about how to deal cleanly with situations like that?

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
Chair of Information Technology