Hello,

distutils-r1 (and previously python-distutils-ng) was using custom
phase functions for a while. Recently, hasufell added multilib-minimal
which does the same. Since in both cases the custom functions are
closely related to building multiple variants of the package, I'm
thinking of adding a few helper functions to the multibuild.eclass.

The framework I'm suggesting will make the custom phase functions
behave similarly to regular ones. Most importantly, eclasses will be
provided with a function to 'export' them.

I'm sending the following patches in reply to this thread:

1) introduces two functions to handle phases:

- multibuild_export_phases -- which exports the listed phases for
  current eclass,
- multibuild_get_phase_function -- which finds and prints the best
  handler for named phase.

The export/find logic follows one used for regular phases. If function
named ${phase} is declared, it is used. Otherwise, the function
exported by most recent eclass is used.

2) uses the new functions in distutils-r1,

3-4) general cleanup of multilib-minimal to make it suitable
   for conversion,

5) uses the new functions in multilib-minimal,

6) runs multilib_src_configure() in parallel to save time,

7) makes autotools-multilib reuse multilib-minimal through exporting
sub-phase functions.

Comments? Questions?

--
Best regards,