Hello,

(I was redirected from gentoo-doc@ to ask this here.)

I think it's a good idea to expand the categories' descriptions (found
in the corresponding metadata.xml files) with more accurate descriptions
of which packages are welcome to fit in which categories.

The current descriptions are very vague and aren't probably in the best
shape to bring users' a good idea what certain category is about and
what packages are to be found there.

This can also be an issue for (new) ebuild-writers (either
user-contributed ebuilds or just gentoo developers that are not sure
about it either).

This is of course checked by a gentoo developer if new ebuilds are to be
submitted via the bugzilla, but I still think we should provide a better
understanding of the categories.

If expanding the metadata.xml files does not seem a good idea, we should
at least make a little bit more comprehensive description somewhere in
the gentoo.org/doc/ or wiki.gentoo.org pages.

What do you think about it?

Regards,
Denis M. (Phr33d0m)