On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 20:08 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
> 2. Patches have to apply to the top directory of the source tree with
> 'patch -p1'. If patches are applied to sub-directories, necessary '-p'
> argument shall be passed to 'epatch' explicitly. Developers are
> encouraged to create patches which are compatible with 'git am'.

Please don't make -p1 into a hard requirement :/

There are upstreams who have different directory layouts in their scm
tree and in their source tarballs. If I clone an upstream git repository
to obtain a patch or to write a new patch that I will submit upstream, I
want to be able to apply that patch in an ebuild without having to
manually sed it to change the -p level.

Specific examples of this among packages that I maintain: app-cdr/cdemu,
app-cdr/cdemu-daemon, sys-fs/vhba. These all use the same git tree, and
source tarballs for individual packages are created from different
subdirectories of that git tree.