On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
<chith...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> After recent changes in dev-lang/v8 and related ebuilds, the pax-mark call no
> longer has a || die. This means that the resulting binaries may have PT_PAX,
> XATTR_PAX, both or neither markings depending on kernel configuration,
> filesystem and mount options.
>
> I'd say that is not a good thing. If you agree with me, what could be done
> here? Have pax-mark die in the eclass or mandate || die in ebuilds? This
> would probably require pax-mark calls to be conditional on pax_kernel USE
> flag or similar.

Most ebuilds do not call pax-mark || die. Most people do not run PaX
systems, so a failure here is not a major issue.

I would like to see the kernel patch enabling user.pax attributes on
tmpfs submitted to Linus' kernel tree; that would eliminate the major
cause of failures here.

In the mean time, maybe we could disable XATTR_PAX markings by default
for people not using the hardened profile.