On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:25:40 -0600
Ryan Hill <dirtye...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I'm also going to rename the "test" flag to "regression-test" or
> something similar to get it out of FEATURES="test" control.  The
> testsuite is a huge time-suck and only useful to developers IMO
> (always expected to fail and primarily meant to be used to check for
> regressions between patchsets).  I'm a big supporter of
> FEATURES="test" by default and I think this is a small step towards
> that.

This step is so tiny that we wont ever reach the goal like this. Let's
start to properly classify test into categories, like for instance

- expected to be run (cheap, no silly deps)
- good thing if run (still reasonable wrt resources) (current src_test)
- if you are the maintainer or simply curious. (boost, jtreg and
  friends)

... and improve on how to configure Portage whether to run tests of any
given category.