On 05/01/2013 07:46 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Zac Medico <zmed...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de> wrote:
>>> The most annoying fact is, that none of this would have been necessary with
>>> portage 2.2, but maybe we have to wait for 2.1.11.500 before 2.2 gets
>>> stable...
>>
>> Since portage-2.1.11.20 [1], you can do this:
>>
>>    echo 'FEATURES="${FEATURES} preserve-libs"' >> /etc/portage/make.conf
>>
>> [1]
>> http://blogs.gentoo.org/zmedico/2012/09/21/preserve-libs-available-in-portage-2-1/
>>

> I think it is time to consider enabling this by default. Hopefully any
> ABI bumps will be accompanied by a subslot / slot-operator migration
> at this point.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the slot-operator adoption, so it feels like
it's about time to enable preserve-libs by default in stable. I know
that this feature has been questioned by some, especially by people
involved with Paludis (which doesn't implement preserve-libs). Maybe it
would be a good idea to get an opinion from the council on whether or
not it should be enabled by default in stable portage.
--
Thanks,
Zac