On 05/08/2013 03:18 PM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2013 20:55:35 +0200
> Ambroz Bizjak <ambr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Init.d scripts are programs - they could probably do just about
>>> anything.
>>
>> They couldn't monitor a process and restart it when it crashes, as
>> specified by the restart options in the unit file. That is, without
>> significant modifications in the way OpenRC works, such as adding a
>> monitoring process, or hacks such as launching a daemon that monitor
>> that process specifically.
>
> Sounds like a great feature. A crashed process is a buggy one, and I
> would want to investigate said program before I relaunched it, and not
> have it automatically relaunched as if nothing had happened.

That's highly, highly, highly use-case dependent. If it's a non-critical
service, or in a non-critical environment, that's one thing. If it's a
service whose downtime can be measured in value lost, that's quite another.

I've had setups where, yes, I had it respawn. But I also wanted it to
send me a core dump so I could investigate. Were I in that circumstance
again, I'd automate collection and analysis of the dumps to produce heat
maps for me.