On 05/21/2013 09:50 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2013 04:45:12 +0000 (UTC)
> Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
>> But the point you're missing is that INSTALL_MASK is NOT a hack.
>
> Sure it is. It's a hack and remains a hack until there's a way of using
> it without risk of breakage.

That's a silly requirement. Every time I sit down with one of my systems
and start playing/exploring (If I've gone a month without getting
somewhat competent with something completely new to me, it's been a bad
month) with USE flags, I break my system with within hours. USE flags
are awesome at what they do, and they're incredibly robust, but that
doesn't mean that toggling features on and off isn't dangerous.

On a working system, *anything* you might touch in
/etc/portage/make.conf carries with it the risk of breakage. This is
what makes Gentoo a place for people who are willing to get their hands
dirty understanding how their system works.