On 5/25/13 9:17 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2013 14:48:30 -0400
Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:

For those unaware, dev-util/ninja is a make-replacement created by one
of the Chromium guys at Google. Its focus is on making incremental
builds of large software faster.

I've no idea how this would work out, so I'm asking some questions from
different perspective to form a better idea; this may step aside your
discussion but on the other hand could help other unaware developers.

If I missed earlier ML discussions on this by not paying attention or
being too new, feel free to point me to those; no need to repeat. :)

Ninja is simpler than make and strives to be as essential as possible, for those that know exotic build system is a close relative to plan9 mk.

Ninja doesn't make any effort to make its build rules human readable, as said they have to be generated by something else, not sure how easy/hard would be debug the generated file.

Being what it is used by default by upstream, probably it makes sense using it for building chromium.

Using it on cmake shouldn't make much, if any, difference speed wise and would just make cmake build require yet another building block so I wouldn't use it if there aren't clear advantages in doing so (somebody could benchmark so we can see how it fares)

lu