On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 18:24:13 +0200
> Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> What does it take to change future specifications to guarantee this?
>
> You can have it from EAPI 6 onwards.
>
>> What's holding this from becoming guaranteed? Why not fix the specs?
>
> The specs accurately reflect Portage behaviour at the time the specs
> were approved. The point of a stable EAPI is that once approved it
> doesn't change.
>

>From the council log, the main objection I saw was that we didn't want
to change the behavior of existing ebuilds.

In this particular case, we know that Portage has been properly
handling die in a subshell since at least EAPI 4 was approved.

I don't use Paludis, but we may have a similar situation there.

If we find that all known implementations of PMS/EAPI 4 have
implemented a certain behavior, making a change to that version of PMS
to properly document the behavior seems reasonable.