On 06/15/2013 11:43 AM, Luca Barbato wrote:
On 06/15/2013 05:33 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Brian Dolbec <dol...@gentoo.org> wrote:
The other thing is that would put a mandatory system requirement on
layman which many of the devs would be opposed to. But, there is an open
bug calling for it to be merged with portage...

Honestly, native support for overlays is something paludis gets right
- the main tree is just another tree and you prioritize them.

Not sure it is a great idea in practice.

lu

There was a period where Zorry and I were working on the hardened toolchain off the hardened-dev overlay. Migrating it back to the tree was a pita. Unless the stuff in the overlay is orthogonal to the main tree, you will effectively be creating forks which are not easily merged. Repositories in other distros (eg debian) normally just add new .debs. They don't override deeper structures such as toolchains and core utilities. We can overrride *anything* in the portage tree like eclasses making overlays a more serious matter.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]