On 06/24/2013 05:54 AM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
> On 24/06/2013 07:30, Pavlos Ratis wrote:
>> That's why I'd like to propose Gentoo Hangouts. Gentoo Hangouts will
>> be Google+  video Hangouts(video calls) held by teams or developers
>> independent of a team. The main goal is to have the teams introduce
>> themselves and discuss about different issues in their Gentoo-related
>> projects.
>
> Thanks for taking the time and initiative to work on something new, I am
> sure it will prove interesting.
>
> It is the response that confuses me - I don't understand why everyone is
> rushing to shut it down before it even begins. For those that are not
> interested in the idea of a video hangout, just don't use it and move on
> - simple.

I'm a user (and would-be dev) and don't like the idea of relying on
anything related to Google or another outside entity for devs and/or
users to communicate. The software is also non-free and closed source.

It's true that people can "just move on", but that strikes me as an
attempt to ward off criticism and not work at solving the perceived
problem: "how do we get richer communication between Gentoo devs/users?"

Mumble exists for voice chat... certainly there's a FOSS video chat
option somewhere? Diego's points wrt time management and multitasking
are also salient.